Sunday, March 27, 2011

The rain held off today so we were able to work the stock.  It was a touch windy but not too bad.  It helped to dry up some of the mud from the rain we had overnight.  It looks like a new storm is heading in so not likely to make much headway on the mud.

I got out my 3 heaviest working sheep and put Rave on a long line.  I then encouraged her to power into the sheep, giving her corrections for sliding out to the side.  The goal was to develop a push and then the ability to slow and stay calm after that.  I was pleased with how it went but do not plan to do it for long, maybe a few more times this week, if the weather holds.

We then worked on doing outruns with my friend, each taking turns holding the sheep so the sheep, who know the drill too well, won't cheat and start coming as soon as the dog leaves.  I was fairly pleased.  Rave was coming in short on the backside some so I was able to give her some corrections for that.  I was pleased with her speed and the wideness of her outrun.  Would be nice to have larger field but we do what we can with what we have.

Then my friend and I went for lunch and coffee.  When we returned we worked the ducks.  First turn Rave did very well.  Second turn she lost some interest as I had been putting a lot of pressure on her to remain slow and methodical.  So I went down to the end with her and let her jazz up some.  I then returned to the center and asked her for slow deliberate work.  She was more engaged and did a better job.  We had trouble at the center.  I tensed up, started giving rapid fire commands and had stress tones in my voice as we worked the center.  I also believe I was catching the ducks eyes and turning them also.  We did manage to get them through but it wasn't pretty.  I need to really work on staying calm and I also need to work on Rave squaring out at the center when asked to flank.

No comments:

Post a Comment