Monday, March 21, 2011

Contemplations

Its been a wet, cold, icy, muddy, windy winter and spring here.  So I have taken to reading some self help books.  And they have got me thinking about what part of all this 'herding' stuff do I like?  The answer is the challenge.  And that moment, whenever it may be, that my dog and I are a team.  And we had one of those moments yesterday.  Better than a blue ribbon.  Even though if it were a trial we would not have even qualified.  We would have been lucky to receive a 28!  I mentioned it in my earlier blog.  Ducks not wanting to go into the panel or corner where the scary black monster wall is.  It took me and Rave both, standing about two feet from each other, to push those ducks through that panel.  We needed every bit of both of our pressure to get them through.  Cool.  We did it together.  It was a very good feeling.  Of course as soon as we accomplished the task I let my guard down and we lost the ducks.  My bad handling.  A reminder not to expect more from my dog than I accomplish myself.  And a reminder to maintain my focus and give support whether verbal or physical to my dog when needed.  And to remember that this is a sport of teamwork. 

A trial is a social place.  Great to see where you are in your training, watch others and learn from them, and enjoy the camaraderie of people who love the same thing that you do.  But the most fun is the pure pleasure of completing a difficult task together. A breakthrough on my handling or training, or a moment of zen of being one with my dog, or to see her accomplish what was once a cause for fear with calm and confidence, or to marvel at that moment of pure instinct and knowing finally, at least this once, I had the good sense to let her handle it.  Whether it takes place in a very public trial or in the privacy of my own backyard.  These are the moments that keep me hooked and coming back to the struggle.

2 comments:

  1. I've enjoyed watching from the sidelines, your journey with herding. You are amazing! If everyone put their heart and soul in all we do, as you have done in herding........nothing would be impossible!

    ReplyDelete