Saturday, April 17, 2010

Go Stand in the Corner

Today I worked on driving the sheep down the fenceline and putting them into the corner and holding them there.  The trick was, the sheep wanted to make the turn as usual and they wanted to make a break for the repen.  I stood halfway from the corner and the center of the arena.  Rave had to work hard.  One very clever ewe, one of my older girls, was constantly trying to beat her and break back to the holding pens where her once upon a time baby was.  Amazing how those connections last over the years.  Rave covered well and stayed calm in her mind.  Once we where able to stop the sheep, push them into the corner and hold them there for a couple of seconds I called her off.  Its a bit hard to explain, harder to do with these particular sheep than it sounds.  I was quite pleased with Rave's work.

We also worked the ducks on one go.  Once again I over flanked on the cross drive.  Once again I got wound up at the center pen and allowed Rave to push to hard and also stopped her short.  Duck work is Zen work.  I need to find our zone.

No comments:

Post a Comment