Saturday, April 24, 2010
Cattle
We worked beef cattle at Dianne's three times this week. It was good. There was a steer that would challenge Rave and she meet the challenge. Instead of turning off as she does when they stare at her, when it went for her she meet it head on and hit its forehead/poll. Each time she meet it she gained confidence. She still wants to slip to heel and follow up with a bit of excitement, focusing on the one steer and forgetting the rest instead of letting it go, but it got a lot better. She became much calmer on picking them off the fence, not pushing them down the fenceline. She was still cutting in a bit on her outrun and I was so pleased with the other things we where doing I let her. I think this was probably a mistake but I think we will be able to correct it. I will have one more time working these cattle and then I don't know when we will get back on cattle in a training situation. I sure wish I had a bigger place that could accomadate some cattle! These cattle will no longer be availiable to us in a short while. To bad, as Rave really does love working the cattle and we have a lot to work on. But next weekend we are heading out for a trial. It will be the first of the year and am a bit nervous about it. We will start with a farm trial at a location (Nevada) that we have never been to so everything will be new. Hope we both can keep our heads! The 5 area trials are at a different location. So deep breath and chant to myself, this is fun, this is fun, stay calm. ;-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment