Friday, June 5, 2009

Wheels

Last night we bought a new 'old' truck. It is a 1998 Chevy 3/4 ton pickup. It is to become my Duck Mobile. This morning we went for our first test. I was able to get my smallest wire dog crate on the back seat of the pickup. It has a small extended cab. Really only small children could possible sit back there as there would be no place for an adult to put their knees. Guess you could stuff an adult back there for a very short trip but I would hate to see them try to get out. The 'back' door is not a door so you have to sweeze in through the front manuevering behind the front seat. I don't bend and twist like that much anymore. Haven't been able to for a few years now .

I then proceded down to the duck pen. I cornered the ducks in the barn stall and shoved 5 in the crate. My ducks are not crate trained so it was the catch and stuff method of crating. Avery and I loaded them into the back of the pick up, bungeed them down and took off to find a school yard. School is now out for the summer. Last day was last week but the teachers must still be doing wrap up as there where quite a few cars in the parking lot. The first school we arrived at had a big sign saying No Dogs or Other Animals Allowed on School Property. Other animals? Where they expecting me to bring ducks? How did they know?

So off we go to another school. We saw no signs at this one, although I admit I didn't look very hard. There was a man walking two German Shepherds. I though darn, can't work here either. But he left so we where good to go. Found a place to park near the baseball field which was fenced. That was nice. Lot larger area than we generally work in but a fence for my comfort! We carried the crate to the outfield, Avery got out the camera and I set up for an outrun. Ave raises the camera and..no click. I had forgoten to put the battery back in it, so no pictures.

I send Rave and to my joy she heads almost striaght at the ducks. This is exactly what I was hoping for. At home she doesn't do this. At trials she has been cutting in. So I got on her about it. She looked shocked. Set up again and it was a beautiful outrun. Each one after that got a bit better. Yea! She drove them nicely although I had a little trouble holding her speed down. The ducks are in good shape so they had no trouble keeping the pace but it would have been better if she had been going at a walking pace.

Now it was time to load the ducks back into the crate. Thank goodness for the fence. As I mentioned before the ducks are not crate trained. I put the crate up next to the fence with the door open of course making a small chute. Rave put them on the fence nicely and drove them toward the crate. Out they vere when they get near the crate. I sand next to the crate and hold my side. Rave walks the ducks up slowly, many stops and waits, and the ducks ball up just in front of the crate door. We wait. They won't relax. We wait, one squirts out. Rave covers. Set up for a retry. Don't know how many times we do this. Rave gets a bit frustrated and a few feathers float in the air when she covers. Until finally one duck gives in and goes in the crate. All others soon follow. Yes! We load the ducks back in the truck and return the ducks to their fellows in the duck pen at home. A fun outing.

Accomplishments, Plans and Goals
  • Worked the ducks in a large area in a new place
  • Work on keeping the outrun wide in new places
  • Work on pace

No comments:

Post a Comment