We have been having quite a bit of rain recently. Helping to green up the landscape but nice sunny weather would be most welcome!
My training buddy and I had scheduled a lesson with our trainer Roy in Oregon on Sunday but at the appointed time it was raining hard at his place so it was cancelled. We where able to get in a practice at my house before the rain hit here however.
I moved my little dairy steers around the field and in and out of some pens. It went pretty well. These little guys are very sweet and have been treated kindly so move off the dog without fuss. They tend to be pretty light which can be a challenge. I am going to miss these guys when they go in about 4 to 6 weeks although they are starting to eat quite a bit and I won't miss that part!
I also did a turn on the sheep. Nothing remarkable but some nice steady work.
Yesterday I went out to Dianne's house and worked the cattle in her large deep sand arena. This is hard work for both Rave and I. Dianne was working about 6 of the beef calves with two dogs when I arrived. A new dog and the always helpful Rudy. Once they where done she had me go into the holding area where the rest of the cattle where. There is a huge 'dirt'
pile in the middle of it. I had to get all the remaining cattle up and drive them to the arena gate. I standing a top the 'dirt' to direct. We got bogged down a little in the alleyway leading to the arena but Rave got them moving again with some Get'em UP encouragement. There where about 20 steers. We then gate sorted five into the arena to join up with the six already there. Once in the arena we worked on getting the steers to come off the fence. It is still work but Rave is getting much better and is starting to understand that first, I do want them off the fence and not just driven down the fenceline, and two, how to make it happen. There is still a bit of a mess at first but it is getting smoother. She is doing better on her driving. Hitting heels nicely. Still likes to do fly byes on the head instead of kicking out and coming in where the steer can see her coming and have a chance to turn. Overall I am very please with how far we have come.
No comments:
Post a Comment