My training buddy and I went out to Nyssa, OR for a lesson from Roy Sage. He is our main instructor, but due to a hard winter in Nyssa we haven't been able to get out to him for many months. When we got to Roy's it was quite windy but the arena was bare of snow and ice and although muddy in places very workable. Due to not being worked all winter and the wind blowing the sheep where quite light. Rave handled them pretty well. We even made the center chute a couple of times although I do believe after the first pass the sheep remembered that that was the best way to go. There was one black and white spotted sheep that kept breaking under the pressure Rave was putting on them and trying to high tail it back to the repen area. On the last time I was ready and was able to head her off and kick her out so that she covered instead of falling in beside the sheep. I was very pleased with that. Rave is not taking her away command when she is at a distance from me, although she will do it at home. But of course the sheep at home are more settled than the sheep at Roy's.
Goals, Plans, and Accomplishments - Succeeded in kicking Rave out to cover a break away sheep!
- Work half moons on the fence line, especially the away side, stopping in many places, sometimes the whole half-moon, sometimes just a few steps. This should help when we are ready to start penning.
- I am still not re-enforcing the stop command. I need to concentrate on that.
- Continue to work on driving off the fence
No comments:
Post a Comment