Friday, May 21, 2010

Heigh Ho, Heigh Ho, Its off to Trials We Go.

This has been a busy week.  We held our home ASCA trial last weekend.  There was a lot of prep work by the club getting it ready.  From paperwork to building the duck arena, holding pens for sheep and placing the panels for the large arenas to getting lunches for judges and volunteers and a lot of other items to do.  And of course once again the weather turned hot over night affecting all, humans, dogs and stock as no one was acclimated to it.  I must admit that the trial is now somewhat of a blur.  Rave and I had one of the best sheep runs we have ever done on the opening day.  From there it went a bit down hill, with Rave listening and responding to commands less and less as the weekend progressed.  We did have some nice runs but we where not on the same page.  Much like Nevada but not as extreme.
So trial wrapped up Sunday, we broke down the arenas, loaded into trailers and trucks and returned home.  Got the paperwork written up, double checked and off to ASCA and then I started to prepare for taking off for the Montana trial on Thurs.  Back to back weekends trialing! 

My friend drove her RV to Montana and I rode along.  Upon arriving in Missoula I rented a car.  My friend went on to the trial site where she is parking and 'camping' in her RV.  After renting the car I drove to the trial site and we let the two dogs have a bit of a run.  Then we put them back in their crates in the RV and went out for a good steak dinner using the rental car.  After dinner I picked up Rave and drove to the motel I was booked in.  By the way, I do think that Rave will be protective of me if needed.  I didn't think she would as she loves everyone, but here in the motel as people rattle doors next to us Rave will give a soft low growl.  So I feel if anyone broke in she would have something to say about it.

Friday morning dawned crisp but clear and after stopping by Starbucks for my morning latte we drove to the trial site.  After the morning runs which were okay I decided to change my tactics for the afternoon.  No longer is my goal to score high.  Now my goal is to get Rave and I working as a team, get Rave to soften and to respond.  I am to 'calm myself' in this endeavour.  Although by insisting that she stop, or slow etc. I didn't have the best control of the stock since there was a bit of a struggle at each one to get her to comply, and of course the stock didn't wait to see what would happen, they went on with their own agendas, I was very pleased with what we where accomplishing.  If I can work through this with Rave, that we work the same in trial situations as we do at home, we reap the benefits later.  So that is my game plan for the rest of this trial.  Steady, calm work by me.  Listening and responding from Rave.  And that will be a giant Win!

Wish me Luck ;-)

1 comment:

  1. Great post! Love to hear about how Rave is working and enjoy learning more on your relationship with her.

    ReplyDelete