It has been about two weeks since we returned from Nationals. What an experience that was. As I had to leave shortly afterwards for an extended business trip with my husband I have had time to contemplate where we go from here.
First and foremost, I am amazed at what my dog can do. And I am tickled by our disagreements. She of course is usually right, except in that she firmly believes that fast is better. But what a happy attitude she has, even when we are arguing. ;-)
So where do we go from here? Back to basics. I need to watch my stock much more carefully. Heads, eyes, ears and beaks! Its so fun to watch Rave I forget to watch my stock. I need to calm my voice, Rave can't stay calm if I am transmitting panic! I need to quiet my voice. How can she know when she is right or wrong when my voice stays the same. I need to be consistent. I may repeat a command once if I have doubts that she could hear, but a command is a command, not a request. That said I need to be sure to let her over ride my command when needed. Watch the results, trust my dog.
So how do I plan to implement this? Return to walk abouts. Watching my stock, not letting her push them past me. Little to no command, instinctual work. Work on her taking slow down commands and stop commands, and just as important speed up commands, push on commands. I need to do half moons on the fenceline to solidify the square flank. This will greatly help our center work. I need a stop right now, no questions asked command. I will need to get a sheep who is not part of the group to force a break away. Work on letting her cover with a kick out, or to stop and let it go if I tell her too. Ah that will be hard. She does not like her stock to be separate. And that I need to work on too. A leave it command. I can do that now with the different types of stock. She will gather the ducks and leave the sheep for instance if told too, but to leave one of the same type behind, ah that is a different story. I need to work on the take pen. That has been such an easy one for her I never work on it. At Nationals we had trouble with the take pen. Take nothing for granted. I would like to learn to whistle. I have no doubts Rave would pick it up easily and probably prefer it to my erratic voice, but it is something I have no talent for whatsoever. I can't sing either. You would not recognized Twinkle Twinkle Little Star if you heard me hum it!
I need to work on having the stock pushed out of the pens at her. I never do that. And it shows at trials as she gets tight in her muscles as she watches them come out. Tight muscled dog makes for nervous stock.
I need to do chores. Lots of chores. Of course I don't have lots of chores to do so I will have to make them up. Moving the sheep from this pen to that. The pasture to the barn etc. She won't know there is no real point to it all. It will seem like a real job to her. And give her a feeling of purpose. I know she thinks it rather silly to take the sheep through two panels floating out there at the end of the arena. What's the point? But she humors me and listens to my countless directions.
Speaking of countless directions. I want to set up random panels around my arena. We can go through them, either direction, figure eight, what ever. This is more to work on my depth perception which is dismal. I can't back a car up into a tight space either! Maybe if Rave starts to learn 'see a panel go through a panel' she can compensate for my lack.
Enjoy. Enjoy the love that she has for working stock. Enjoy the beauty of her athletics. Laugh at the expressions she gives me when she knows I am wrong (and pay attention to it). Enjoy the little dance she does when she sees me pick up the 'working shoes'. My two old dogs are really slowing down. They remind me every day how brief a time we have with these special spirits. I don't want to ever forget that as we go forth to do battle to learn the intricacies and the dance of working dogs on stock!
Well written! I enjoyed your blog. Your ending comments hit home for me.
ReplyDelete