Well almost. We have been to Janie's a few times but not since last spring. So we arrived in my friend's new car. There was mud everywhere but fairly compact. It was a little nerve racking worrying about getting mud in my friends new car. And usually when I try to be careful I make everything worse!
The working sheep, mostly katahdin/dorpers where in a large field. I took Rave out and as soon as they saw her they started moving down the pasture. I put Rave in a down and attempted to get nearer the sheep. The continued to fade away. I was hoping I wouldn't end up at the end of the field but they finally settled and I was able to send Rave. I would have preferred to have her closer as my goal for this work was to just have Rave, and myself, calm in a new field on unfamiliar sheep. She she went well, staying soft, but it would have been nice if she would have kicked out wider. But she did not speed up coming around the top and took her balance point well. The sheep of course then drew to the exit of the field that was behind me. Rave brought them well but to keep up with the rate the sheep where moving she had to do a medium trot. I was hoping for a walk but not to be. We brought them into the smaller working area and took them to the sort pen. They all wanted in although Rave was quite far out and in a down. I was able to close the gate and only have 6 left to work.
I worked on some out runs, lifts and fetch. We had trouble getting the sheep to me on the fetch, them pulling to the draw of the sheep in the holding pen on the side. I think having worked the sheep all winter that would just follow regardless of where the dog was showed today. Rave did not hold the side pressure to keep the sheep coming to me, falling into more of a follow. Once she got 'hard' in her body and started whining as she was waiting to be sent. I corrected her for that but not sure she understood what the correction was for.
We did a few more outruns, lifts and fetches staying calm. Not a large distance, just working on demeanor.
Colt took his turn and they did some very nice work. Then it was Rave's turn again. I decided to just work on instinct and staying calm. So I did walkabouts, walking backwards (I'll pay for that tomorrow with sore legs), switching direction often. No commands just letting Rave work. I would occasionally remind her to not push quite so hard. She enjoyed the work and so did I. We ended both feeling happy and eager for the next time we can make it out.
Sounds like fun!
ReplyDelete