Thursday, December 23, 2010

Steady As She Goes

Weather was nice for Dec.  Field had crusty snow and ice underneath in places but not deep so a great day to continue working on slow and easy.

We continue to work the rectangle.  I try to stay outside the rectangle, but if Rave isn't giving me crisp square flanks I move to the center where I am in position to push her out.  I started the day with the sheep already in the take pen as my friend sorted them today.  That was great.  We don't usually go directly to the take pen.  I think the slow and crisp squares are paying off with the take pen performance.  Rave went in and hit the back panel, she usually will come across early.  This isn't an issue with her as she usually manages to keep the sheep calm in take pens but it is good for her to do.  You never know when you are going to get sheep in a trial who have been abused in a pen and over react to a dog coming in.

I choose to work the two old girls.  They are opiniated sheep and like to go where they will and being old ladies they feel intitled to go their pre-decided way.  I was actually quite pleased with Rave.  Several times I saw her correct her line to hold them down the middle.  Most of the time they drifted toward the draws however.  I continue to stop her and then down her at the corners before flanking her.  Not sure if it is the snow and ice, or if this exercise is making Rave more relaxed and thoughtful, but it seems to be so I will continue it.  I have had a tendency in the past to move on to the next exciting thing before the last is fully ingrained.  I am attempting during the slower time of this winter to rectify that.  Slow and steady on both of our parts!  Rave did start to get a bit sloppy on her aways so I moved into the center and pushed on her a bit when I asked her to away to get the nice square.

A good practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment