As the melting snow made for a very muddy arena my friend and I decided to work the ducks. Its been a long time since I worked them, I think since Nationals. So we brought them out of their duck pen and put them in the stall adjacent to their grassy working arena. I pulled out 5 and Rave and I went to work. I had set up a V panel in the center of the arena. Essentially two sides of the duck center pen shaped in a V. I find it much harder to put the ducks in the V than in either a chute or a pen. It is close ended and so a trap like the pen, but open sided and easier to slip past like the chute. Anyway we worked on Rave walking the ducks around the perimeter in a calm manner, giving her chances to self correct. Then pull off to the center obstacle. Very pleased with her fenceline work. Oh if she had only been that calm and deliberate at Finals
My friend then had her turn and she and her young dog did very well. Ducks are such a finesse and control stock that it is hard for a young dog to keep their cool. But they are doing excellent as they figure the duck game out and I see a bright spring trial season ahead of them.
So Rave and I then took a second turn. I have 19 ducks so on this run I only used 4 so my friend could have a full group of 5 to work on her last turn. This time I set up two posts in the center of the field to do figure 8's around. I stood at the far end and proceeded to direct Rave around the posts. This is something I have not done quite this way before and it turned out to be a better exercise than I had expected. It ensured that I worked both directions, I had to do both inside and outside flanks, and it worked on my timing. Interesting enough Rave's 'bad' side, the away, was also the side I had the most trouble on with the timing of the command to turn the ducks smoothly around the posts without cutting it short and going on the wrong side of the panel. So have I created the weakness in Rave or do we just by coincidence have the same weakness? I think it is a bit of both as when Rave runs free in the yard she has a path she runs. And on that path that makes a circle she always free chooses to go come bye. Interesting. A case of the which came first?
On a sad note, our old friend of 16 years, Tasslehoff Burfoot is gently living his last few days. He has been an amazingly good cat, especially for my oldest son as he went through his adolescents. I am very happy that he will live his last days here at home. He seems to be in no pain but is slowly winding down. As my husband says, when it is my time I want to be warm, and dry, and surrounded by the ones I love. And so we will endeavor to give this gift to Tass. And unless he seems to develop pain we will let him go at his own pace surrounded by the ones he loves.
Ducks sound like so much fun... I'd love to try Cedar and Moss on them sometime :)
ReplyDeleteThey are fun. Very finesse stock.
ReplyDeleteLooks like you and Cedar are doing awesome in agility. Way to go!