I went out to Roy's today. It was a beautiful morning with maybe just a tad bit to much wind, but lovely and considering it is the 3rd of July and still cool.
I discussed with Roy the items that we are having trouble with. Rave not quite keeping her stock 'bunched' and therefore having trouble with the push on the drive. And Rave taking responsibility for controlling the stock, especially on the drive. This is what we mostly worked on. I think the two things are inter related. So I had Rave drive the sheep down the fence, trying to watch the stock and Rave closely. There was a very strong drawn at the bottom of the arena where the sheep are let out to go to their pasture. When Rave started to go wrong, allowing the sheep to pull to the draw, I tried to give a verbal correction instead of a flank command and allow her to 'fix' herself. We where both getting a bit better by the end of the lesson but I need to catch it sooner. Next week I am going to try to go out with a trailer and borrow some of Roy's sheep so that Rave will have some 'fresh' stock to work. She and my sheep have to much understanding of each other. She needs to be challenged by unfamiliar sheep.
You're lucky that you sheep and dog are n tune with eachother - our training sheep take two dogs and two quadbikes to get into the pen, and then if they get tired they start standing against the dogs. I tell you!
ReplyDeleteWhat sort of sheep to you work with?
Hi Ruth,
ReplyDeleteWow, that must make training hard! I have Katahdins, which is an American breed hair sheep, and some California Reds which are a wool sheep. Only have 8 of the hair sheep and 6 woolies and I only have 4 acres. The place where I went yesterday to take a lesson has a eclectic mix of wool and hair sheep of various mixes.
Someday I hope to make it to Ireland. All the pictures I see are beautiful. I have enjoyed reading your Blog. Especially watching Ben grow up. What a charmer.