Today we went out to Dianne's to work the cattle. We sorted off a really nice group and got to work concentrating on pacing, holding the shoulder and no unnecessary force. I really tried to get square flanks as we preceded around the arena holding them to the fence. When she heeled it was necessary and most of the time I was able to hold her from going to the head and turning them back. We drove them straight down the middle of the arena without me saying a word to adjust her line. That went really sweet. Called her off and did a couple of outruns. I made her stay out on her away side, her more difficult direction. Her second away outrun was real nice although she is approaching the lift a little to cautiously. Her come bye outrun was nice. She is showing more confidence in holding position when the cattle are facing her.
After lunch we returned to my place and once again I tried to pen the ducks to no avail. Poor Rave did exactly what I asked so I am obviously asking for the wrong things. I sure hope I don't burn her out before I figure it out!
Accomplishments, goals and plans- Rave showing more confidence on the head when cattle face her
- Rave is staying out nicely on her outrun
- Work on a 'harder' lift. She is a bit to cautious now
- Work on one hit and staying calm (both of us) letting the cattle move off
- Continue to work on the center with the ducks
No comments:
Post a Comment